Welcome to a weekend exclusively dedicated to what is called « old-time » music! This genre comprises a great variety of traditional US music, starting with country and bluegrass, but also akin to ragtime, to country blues etc.
You will be received, on Friday, with a concert in order to introduce the instructors; the courses will take place on Saturday and Sunday.
They will be accessible to all musicians who play an instrument from the string band family, which becamer popular with its first recordings, in the twenties. Saturday evening will be dedicated to a ball and a jam session where the public will be able to discover the festive and participative aspect of this tradition.
Daytime courses will be split in two. In the morning, the apprentices will be assembled according to their instruments. In the afternoon, we will form ensembles, in order to experience this living tradition, for this music is mainly played in groups!
Registration for this workshop does not include meals and lodging. If you’re looking for a lodging, or if you would like to welcome some participants, please be so kind as to get in touch with email@example.com Tickets for the Friday concert and the Saturday ball/jam session are included in the registration price.
Information about the instruments and the teachers:
- Bass – Annick Odom
- Mandolin – Darius Lecharlier
- Clawhammer Banjo – Jérémie Fraboni (FULL)
- Singing – Léo Divary
- Violin – Lorcan Fahy
- Guitar – Valentin Lallart
- Fri 11: Welcome + Concerts
- Sa 12: Workshops* + « Flat Foot » initiation / Old-time ball / Jam
- Su 13: Workshops* + ensemble presentation
- 9H30 – music course
- 12H30 – lunch break
- 14H00 – ensemble course
- 17H00 – end of the courses
*Locations for the workshops:
- Banjo: Théâtre Molière (Muziekpublique), Galerie Porte de Namur, 1050 Ixelles
- Double bass: Théâtre Molière (Muziekpublique), Galerie Porte de Namur, 1050 Ixelles
- Violin: La maison qui chante, Rue du Viaduc, 1050 Ixelles
- Guitar: La maison qui chante, Rue du Viaduc, 1050 Ixelles
- Singing: The Crazy Circle, Koninklijke-Prinsstraat 11, 1050 Ixelles
- Mandolin: Salles Gray, rue Gray 122, 1050 Ixelles